Govt introduces new social benefits as 2.8 million lose jobs

first_imgIndonesia’s preemployment card program, a social safety net offering aid similar to unemployment benefits, saw an immediate spike in interest within a few days of its launch, as 2.8 million people have lost their jobs nationwide as a result of businesses temporarily halting operations.Just a day after the program was launched on Saturday, 1.4 million people applied for benefits worth a total of Rp 3.5 million (US$223)  — to be given for four months — in the first registration phase, according to data from the Office of the Coordinating Economic Minister.The program, which was part of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s campaign pledge, initially aimed at providing Indonesian workers the necessary skills training for work. “Our objective is slightly shifting,” Denni Puspa Purbasari, the president director of the program’s management, told an online talk on Monday.“We initially wanted to reduce youth unemployment, but now we were also focusing on furloughed workers, those who have lost their jobs or small entrepreneurs who have lost customers.”Read also: Indonesia advances pre-employment card program to tackle pandemic impactsWith a budget of Rp 20 trillion, the program will cover 5.6 million participants aged 18 years or above who are currently not attending university, particularly those who have yet to receive any social assistance. As many as 2.8 million people have lost their jobs as of Monday, according to data from the Manpower Ministry and the Workers Social Security Agency (BPJS Ketenagakerjaan). More than half were furloughed and place on paid or unpaid leave.Employment data from August 2019 shows that 7.05 million people are unemployed in Indonesia, representing a 5.28 percent unemployment rate.“The scope of the preemployment card needs to be widened, eased and accelerated,” said Center of Reform on Economics (CORE) Indonesia research director Piter Abdullah. “With limited data, there’s a risk that disbursement will not be well-targeted — but it’s better than nothing. Therefore, it’s important that social aid is not politicized.”Many businesses have been laying off or furloughing workers as they temporarily shut down operations in line with the government’s large-scale social restriction (PSBB) measures to slow the spread of COVID-19.Read also: COVID-19 impacts across Indonesia’s business sectors: A recapIntroduced earlier this month, the policy mandates the suspension of schools and offices, as well as religious and public activities, with only essential businesses allowed to operate.Domestic factory activities have contracted to a record-low level in the first quarter of this year at 45.64 percent, according to Bank Indonesia’s Prompt Manufacturing Index.“Our employment conditions are very concerning,” said the Manpower Ministry’s training and productivity supervision director general, Bambang Satrio Lelono.“Therefore, we hope recipients [of the preemployment card program] can choose courses that will open up job opportunities, either in the same industry or a new one. They can use the training according to their needs or opportunities in the future job market. The program can help them develop their own businesses.”Nearly 200,000 workers in tourism, which has by far been the hardest-hit by the outbreak, are set to apply for the program, according to data from the Tourism and Creative Economy Ministry. More than 1,200 hotels in 31 provinces have temporarily closed, according to the Indonesian Hotel and Restaurant Association (PHRI). Of those, 844 have registered their 74,100 employees with the preemployment card program.“We’re worried that many hotels and restaurants don’t care enough to register their employees, but workers in this sector highly need the social aid,” PHRI chairman Hariyadi Sukamdani told a teleconferenced briefing on Wednesday. “Many hotels have yet to give us their employee data.”Read also: Tourism will take at least a year to recover from COVID-19 outbreak: EconomistsAround 7,000 travel agents in the Association of Indonesian Tour and Travel Agencies (ASITA) have been forced to take measures such as cutting salaries and furloughing workers in order to avoid layoffs, said ASITA chairman Nunung Rusmiati.“We are trying very hard not to lay off our workers, but we would struggle if we don’t cut their salaries,” Nunung said at the same online event. “So, some of the measures we’re taking include cutting workers’ salaries by 50 percent and giving them unpaid leave.”The preemployment card program offers 900 courses, including English for tour guides, accounting, information technology and business management, in partnership with eight institutions, such as online learning platform Skill Academy and e-commerce platforms Tokopedia and Bukalapak.Eligible recipients who have registered at prakerja.go.id will receive their benefit via bank transfers or e-wallet platforms GoPay and LinkAja to ease the disbursement process.Riza Roidila Mufti and Adrian Wail Akhlas contributed to this storyTopics :last_img read more

Beatrice Growing Wind Turbine Legs, 24 Jackets Installed

first_imgSeaway Heavy Lifting’s vessels Stanislav Yudin and Oleg Strashnov are working full-steam at the Beatrice offshore wind farm site and have installed 78 pile sets and 24 jacket foundations so far, according to the project’s latest Notice to Mariners.The 588MW offshore wind farm will consist of 84 wind turbines and two Siemens Offshore Transformer Modules (OTMs), all placed on top of jacket foundations.The piling works, carried out by Stanislav Yudin, are expected to be completed by the end of October. Oleg Strashnov is scheduled to be working on jacket installation until December 2017 and then resume in May 2018, weather permitting.The first Siemens 7MW turbines will be installed in summer 2018, with the wind farm anticipated to be commissioned by the end of 2019.Beatrice is located in the Outer Moray Firth off Scotland, approximately 13km off the Caithness coastline.last_img read more

Frustrated by obstacles, Baron gives up on Peruvian offshore block

first_imgUK independent Baron Oil has decided to relinquish Block Z-34 located offshore Peru due to “impediments to activity” caused by the country’s lack of regulation. Baron said on Friday that the decision was made on Thursday, November 9, after a unanimous vote by all parties eligible to vote on the matter.The company added that the Peruvian oil and gas regulator PeruPetro would be informed of the decision.“The block has been in Force Majeure since 2014, and under these circumstances, the Z-34 partners are entitled to exercise their right to relinquish Block Z-34 and, consequently, to request that the $3.6 million work program guarantee bond be released. If this is agreed, Baron expects to recover a substantial portion of the bond, free of tax,” the company said.The block is 70 percent owned by Baron Oil’s subsidiary Gold Oil with the remaining 30 percent being held by Uruguay’s Union Oil and Gas Group (UOGG).Bill Colvin, chairman of Baron, said: “The Z-34 group has been frustrated by the impediments to activity in Peru created by the lack of regulations relating to deepwater drilling and the need to change existing regulations to accommodate such activities. Although new legislation is promised shortly, we are of the view that activities will continue to face unexpected delays and additional expense, creating uncertainties that impact the economic evaluation of the prospects. We have therefore taken the difficult decision to relinquish the block.”It is worth reminding that Baron Oil tried to farm-out the block through a deal that would make UOGG an owner of 80% of the stake. However, after UOGG failed to meet its financial obligations for the farm-in following the approval of the public deed in February 2017, Baron decided to terminate the farm-out agreement.Offshore Energy Today Stafflast_img read more

Dredger Laura Busy at Port of Siuslaw

first_imgThe Oregon International Port of Coos Bay and the Port of Siuslaw have partnered to complete dredging at the Port of Siuslaw inner boat basin. The basin has collected sand and silt to a point where some slips were unusable for the commercial and recreational fleet or are only accessible during high tide. Inadequate depth in the marina has also caused damage to dock infrastructure, the Port of Coos Bay said in its release.The dredging project alleviates these challenges by removing approximately 12,000 cubic yards of sediment from the marina, enabling boats to navigate and access slips safely and efficiently.“Dredging is of dire importance to Oregon’s public ports as drivers of economic development,” said David Huntington, Port of Siuslaw Manager. “This is a project that benefits our marina customers, the waterfront environment, and our entire community.”“As the stewards of the state dredge it is important to us to ensure safe navigation throughout Oregon,” added Brandon Collura, Charleston Marina Harbormaster. “I’m proud of the partnerships we have built and the work our team is doing to carry out the project thus far.”  As stewards of the dredge equipment, the Port of Coos Bay takes ownership of all maintenance and operation of the state dredger Laura and her tender Ms. Soco for each dredging project.Since the acquisition of the dredging equipment, the state has helped reduce the cost of dredging in marinas for Oregon ports, allowing smaller ports like the Port of Siuslaw to remain safe and viable.last_img read more

‘Pusher’ busted in Pototan

first_imgILOILO City – Police arrested asuspected drug pusher in a sting operation in Barangay Tuburan, Pototan,Iloilo. Charges forviolation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of2002 will be filed against him./PN Bayona was detained in the custodialfacility of the municipal police station. When frisked, the suspect yielded sixmore sachets of illegal drugs, the report added. center_img Antidrug personnel of the Pototan policestation staged the entrapment operation around 1 p.m. yesterday. The 35-year-old William Bayona of BarangayLico-an, Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo was arrested after he sold a sachet of suspectedshabu to an undercover cop for P1,000, a police report showed. last_img read more

Mignolet to snub new deal – agent

first_img Press Association “Simon has obviously come to a point where he wants to step up a level and there is a lot of interest in him. He is very ambitious and wants to play in the World Cup in Brazil next year. “It was a good thing that Sunderland stayed up and it is a fantastic club where he has had three great years. But it is maybe time to step up a level and play for a club competing for a European spot.” The news will come as a huge blow to manager Paolo Di Canio, who may now have to decide whether or not to cash in on one of his prized assets either this summer or in 12 months’ time if he is to avoid losing him for nothing when his contract does expire. Mignolet was arguably Sunderland’s most accomplished performer during a difficult last Barclays Premier League campaign, and has since been linked with a big money move away from Wearside with Arsenal and Liverpool among the clubs touted as possible destinations. He is currently behind Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois, who spent last season on loan at Atletico Madrid, in the Belgian pecking order, but has high hopes of forcing his way into the national side. Mignolet joined the Black Cats from Sint-Truiden in June 2010 for £2million and the club would be sure to make a healthy profit on him if they were to sell. However, Sunderland are desperate to retain the services of a man who has proved hugely dependable in recent seasons and it remains to be seen how doggedly they will fight for him. Vaesen said: “All teams that are interested in Simon, we direct them to Sunderland. He still has a two-year contract there and any interested clubs have to agree a price with Sunderland first. That is the way we conduct our business.” Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet is unlikely to extend his stay at Sunderland as he looks to take the next step in his career.center_img The 25-year-old Belgium international still has two years remaining on his existing deal at the Stadium of Light, but agent Nico Vaesen has revealed the prospect of him signing an extension is remote with talks to date unproductive. “There is no progress. I think it is very unlikely that he will sign a new contract,” Vaesen told the Sunderland Echo. last_img read more

Farrell: Deciding Test will top the lot

first_img Farrell has no doubt the Lions will regroup ahead of the Sydney showdown. And they are also optimistic that centre Jamie Roberts and prop Alex Corbisiero will return to full training on Wednesday, putting them in contention for next weekend. Wales international Roberts has yet to play in the Test series because of a hamstring problem, while England prop Corbisiero suffered a calf injury in the series opener at Suncorp Stadium. “There are a few boys training tomorrow and they will go hard. The rest of the squad have a couple of days off and we’ll train on Wednesday and Thursday,” Farrell said. “People like Alex Corbisiero and Jamie Roberts will go hard tomorrow and hopefully be right for full training on Wednesday.” Farrell has dismissed any prospect of the Lions being fatigued as they approach the end of a 10-match tour that started in Hong Kong four weeks ago. “Fatigue doesn’t come into it with the enormity of the task ahead and what is at stake,” he said. “If you ask the players, they would play the game again tomorrow. They want to get straight back on the horse and get back at it. That’s what big-game players want to do – get back at it straightaway. The disappointment is that we have to wait five or six days to put it right. “We have always said that we’ve got a good squad and we believe in everyone within the squad. We will back everyone to the hilt and that is what we’ve done throughout this campaign. Whoever gets selected for this last game in Sydney, big-game players normally produce when it counts, and it counts no more than next weekend.” Andy Farrell has billed next Saturday’s Test series decider between the British and Irish Lions and Australia as “the biggest game of our lives”. The Lions have migrated north to Noosa for a few days’ rest and recuperation following their defeat in Melbourne. There is also an injury cloud hovering over their captain Sam Warburton, who will arrive on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast on Monday after remaining in Melbourne overnight for a scan. Farrell said: “We all realise it (next Saturday) is the biggest game of our lives and we’ll see what comes of it. I wouldn’t say Australia are in the driving seat. I would say they’re very pleased – it was a do or die situation for them, and they rose to the challenge.” center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Chiefs too strong for Connacht

first_img After a 30-24 defeat at Bayonne last week, Rob Baxter’s side bounced back in style as tries from Will Chudley, Henry Slade, Damian Welch, D avid Ewers and Ben White secured victory, while Gareth Steenson added four conversions. The Aviva Premiership side now top Pool Two, which is finely poised with all four teams having won one and lost one, by a point. Exeter have a slight advantage over their opponents due to the two contrasting bonus points they have accrued from the opening games. They next face a trip to French side La Rochelle, who beat Bayonne 25-13 on Friday, when the competition resumes on December 4. Greig Laidlaw kicked 20 points as Gloucester marched on in Pool Five with a 25-15 win at Oyonnax. The Scottish scrum-half booted six penalties and converted Matt Kvesic’s second-half try as the Cherry and Whites followed their opening 55-0 triumph over Brive with another win to comfortably remain top of their section. Zebre are next up for Gloucester at Kingsholm and the Aviva Premiership side will already be hot favourites to ease through. In Pool Three, Stade Francais edged Bucharest Wolves 13-9 to get their first win in the competition, thanks to Digby Ioane grabbing the only try of the match and South African Morne Steyn adding eight points with his boot. Cardiff Blues maintained their 100 per cent start in Pool One with an impressive 33-18 win over Italian side Rovigo. The Blues pack was key as Kristian Dacey, Josh Turnbull, Gethin Jenkins, Manoa Vosawai and Macauley Cook all powered over to clinch Cardiff’s second try bonus point. Exeter Chiefs ran in five tries during an impressive 33-13 home victory over Connacht to put their European Challenge Cup campaign back on course.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Morocco formally complains of refereeing ‘injustice’

first_imgRabat, June 29: The Moroccan Royal Football Federation (FRMF) has formally complained to world football’s governing body FIFA over “serious referee errors” during the 2018 World Cup in Russia.In a letter sent to FIFA and posted on the FRMF website on Thursday, federation president Fouzi Lekjaa said the errors led to his country’s early exit and that the video assistant referee (VAR) had been used or not used in order to serve the interests of their opponents, reports Xinhua news agency.Morocco played in the World Cup in Group B along with Iran, Portugal and Spain.“We want to express our indignation at the injustice suffered by our national team, following serious refereeing errors that led to (the team’s) premature exit from the first round of the 2018 World Cup,” Lekjaa said in the letter.“The severity of these refereeing errors is all the more evident in the fact that in these two matches (against Portugal and against Spain), the use of VAR served only to preserve the interests of our competitors,” it said.The Moroccan federation listed what it said were wrong decisions and attached their videos from Morocco’s defeat 1-0 against Portugal and 2-2 draw against Spain.The north African side, who also lost their group opener to Iran, had strongly criticized the referees’ performance following their loss to the Portuguese, their second group game, that had killed off their chances of advancing.“With what has happened we can only express our serious concern at the persistence of these injustices and the negative impact on the image of FIFA and the future of football,” the letter said.The Moroccan federation urged FIFA president Gianni Infantino to “take the necessary measures and make the necessary adjustments in order to repair these injustices and guarantee the conditions of a competition with equal opportunities for all teams”. IANSlast_img read more

NFL free agency rumors: 49ers sign WR Jordan Matthews

first_img49ers signed former Eagles’ WR Jordan Matthews.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 14, 2019Matthews caught 20 passes for 300 yards and two touchdowns with the Eagles last season. NFL free agency rumors: Teddy Bridgewater to re-sign with Saints Matthews was originally taken in the second round by the Eagles in 2014.The wide receiver has caught 270 passes for 3,255 yards and 22 touchdowns in his career. NFL free agency rumors: AJ McCarron released by Raiderscenter_img The 49ers have added a wideout to their receiving corps.San Francisco has signed wide receiver Jordan Matthews, according to ESPN. He has spent four of his five NFL seasons in Philadelphia. He missed all of 2017 when the Eagles won the Super Bowl. Related Newslast_img read more