Police in Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) are probing the rape of a six-year-old child.Guyana Times understands that a 44-year-old man of Wisroc, Wismar, Linden, has been arrested and questioned in relation to the incident. This newspaper was told that he has since been released on $50,000 station bail pending the probe.A Police source confirmed that as a condition for the station bail, the man is required to report daily at the Police station. E Division (Linden-Kwakwani) Commander, Linden Lord has indicated that legal advice has since been sought on the way forward.Region 10 recorded the highest cases of child abuse in Guyana in 2017, with a 22.1 per cent of the country’s total. Director of the Child Care and Protection Agency (CCPA), Ann Greene, had confirmed that most of the reported cases in the region came from Linden. According to information from the Agency, the overall rate of child abuse for Guyana in 2017 is 15.8 children per 1000 of the national population of children. Greene had stressed the importance of understanding “rates” in terms of population size when looking at the number of children being abused, as she pointed out that according to the rates, Region 10 had the highest. She also indicated that Region 10 had the highest rate of child neglect and sexual abuse.
The Moscow design studio behind Monday’s re-branding announcement described the animal on its website as: “A bear with eyes burning with passion.”Russia’s club football has struggled for recognition in the post-Soviet era despite being ranked sixth by European governing body UEFA.Its reputation has been blotted by hooliganism and ramshackle stadiums built by Communist Party planners who valued austerity over comfort.Teams such as Spartak Moscow and Zenit Saint Peterburg have faithful followings at home but are hardly a draw outside Russia.The Russian Premier League hopes that is about to change.The infusion of 12 new or refurbished arenas now opening at great expense for the World Cup is set to transform how the game looks and feels.The Russian football association has started making a profit and is thinking up ways to capture a broader audience on TV.This is where the black bear comes in.The fierce looking beast — replete with blood-red triangular eyes — is meant to replace a bland 17-year-old logo featuring the map of Russia on a ball.A spokesman for the Premier League said it may still undergo some finishing touches depending on what team owners and the fans say.The league said in a statement it was hoping to use the new brand to “help create entertaining, competitive and commercially successful” football.The reception so far has been one of pleasant surprise.“The new Russian Premier League logo is actually not that bad,” popular sports commentator Vasily Utkin wrote in a blog.Editors behind Moscow’s Sportbox.ru website immediately ran a poll asking: “What looks sharper — the English lion or the Russian bear?”The bear won by a handsome margin despite some fans saying in their responses that it looked either psychedelic or “on drugs”.Russia has turned to its national symbol in times of need in the past.The ruling United Russia party adopted the animal in its logo as part of its appeal to voters in the first years of President Vladimir Putin’s rule.It was the mascot of Moscow’s 1980 Summer Olympics and is the symbol of Russia’s special forces and various army units.Utkin, though, admitted that a spunky new bear on its own will probably not do all that much to make Russian football more attractive.“But no logo ever did that — not in flourishing leagues or in problematic ones like ours,” Utkin wrote.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Russia is following England’s lead with an animal logo for its top football league © AFP / Alexander NEMENOVMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Apr 16 – Russia’s Premier League is following the lead of its English counterparts by launching an animal logo to win over fans: a red-eyed bear.While the English top flight has its iconic royal blue lion, Russia has launched a logo of its own national animal just two months ahead of the World Cup kick-off in the country.
Noel Boyle from The Paper Post in Letterkenny is hoping to sell the winning ticketLOTTO fever has hit Donegal today – as the EuroMillions jackpot hits €125M.Lottery retailers across the county are reporting a brisk trade as punters bid to get their hands on one of the biggest ever jackpots.Noel Boyle, from The Paper Post in Letterkenny, said: “It hasn’t stopped all morning. “When there is such a big jackpot there are always more players and we’ve been inundated today.“Fingers crossed I might sell the winning ticket.” LOTTO FEVER GRIPS DONEGAL AS JACKPOT HITS €125MILLION was last modified: January 7th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:euromillionsLOTTO FEVER GRIPS DONEGAL AS JACKPOT HITS €125MILLION
It could be you!This is the hard-hitting road safety message delivered to Donegal students in the Aura Letterkenny Leisure Centre.The award winning show, which is in its fifth year is hosted by Donegal County Council in association with the Donegal Road Safety Working Group (DRSWG). Almost 3,000 young people will witness how a night out ends in tragedy for a 17-year old boy who has just passed his driving test. The story is not performed by actors but is told by a Garda officer, a paramedic, a fire officer, an emergency consultant, a mother of a victim and Richard Alcorn from Dunfanaghy, who was paralysed following a road traffic collision a number of years ago.The narrative is interspersed with music, video clips, television advertisements and is hosted by Charlie Collins from Highland Radio.Donegal County Council’s Deputy Mayor, Cllr Martin Farren said, “We believe that showing realistically what happens on our roads will have a strong impact on the young people who attend and will demonstrate that it can happen to them.“The show is part of Donegal County Council’s ongoing commitment to improving road safety in the County and is targeting the group who are most at risk, young people who are just beginning to drive and often think they are indestructible. This show aims to positively influence these young drivers as they start out on what will hopefully be a long and safe motoring career.” The format of the Road Show is designed to appeal to young people. When they arrive at the Road Show venue they enter a hall that is set up to give a nightclub like atmosphere with a local radio DJ playing the latest music. After a short while the ambience changes as the Road Show story begins to unfold and the full horror of what could happen in a collision is played out in front of them.Donegal County Council’s Road Safety Officer, Eamonn Brown commented: “It’s a sad fact that almost everyone in this county knows someone who was killed or seriously injured in a traffic collisions in the County. This show offers our young people the opportunity to learn about the consequences of poor driving behaviour and hopefully they will think carefully about their driving behaviour and realise the terrible consequences of taking risks on the road.DONEGAL’S ROAD SAFETY ROADSHOW ATTRACTS THOUSANDS – IN PICTURES was last modified: October 17th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Aura Leisure CentreRoad Safety Roadshow
An education can’t make up for a life spent growing up in a city and knowing first-hand the challenges that African-American athletes face each day. So can someone please lift that interim tag from Ken Howard’s name and let him do what he’s doing. This program has needed a man like Howard for a long time. “That wasn’t much of a thought (becoming the permanent head coach) early on, but I believe it’s best for the kids because of the relationship I have with them and our assistants have with them,” Howard said. “They know they finally have a coach in their community who won’t leave them, and that means a lot. They’re used to seeing coaches come and go, and we’re used to filtering our good athletes to other schools. “That’s got to stop, and we have to make it stop.” Howard is more of a general than a coach. He’s runs the sidelines like a boot camp. There’s no fooling around, talking back or excessive celebrating because Howard won’t tolerate it. “We’re supposed to be teaching them how you act in life,” Howard said. “For them, the world is watching on Fridays and they have to be accountable and I have to make them accountable.” Like last week, when an ugly situation was brewing against Arcadia after a scuffle nearly broke out seconds before halftime. Howard raced in front of his players before they could get to Arcadia’s sidelines. They stopped in their tracks like a young child might after their dad whipped out his belt. It ended in a classy manner, with Howard offering his hand to Apaches coach Jon Dimalante. “It all starts with the head coach,” Howard said. “If I go out and act like an idiot, the players will do the same. “I have to look at every day like it’s a crisis situation. I can’t afford to let our players have egos. I can’t afford to let our coaches have egos. There’s no time for any of that stuff because all it takes is one mess-up and our program takes the blame for it.” Howard is in a unique situation. He grew up in Pasadena and attended PHS. Although he’s not a teacher on Muir’s campus, he’s there just as often as one of the school’s security guards. “I use that time to check on their (players’) grades,” Howard said. “I talk to their teachers, go to their classes and call their homes. I will do whatever it takes to make sure I see them doing what they’re supposed to be doing.” Howard has known his players since they were in youth football. He knows most of their parents because he went to school with them. He also has children that played sports and graduated from Muir, so he knows the challenges his players face on a daily basis. Howard already has benched his star player, quarterback Forrest Elder, for a quarter. He’ll bench anyone who gets in the way. “Kids have to know that you pay a penalty for stepping out of line,” Howard said. “A lot of these kids settle for what’s given to them. But we’ve got to sell them that there are big dreams beyond high school. How do you do that? You show them that you care and you mean what you say.” You don’t learn those qualities in a classroom. You either have them or you don’t. — Fred J. Robledo can be reached at (626) 962-8811, Ext. 4485, or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week In came coach Mike Riazzi from Florida, who embraced the Mustangs’ proud tradition. But let’s face it, he didn’t know what went on in his players’ lives once they left the football field and later followed his wife’s career to Texas after only two years on the job. School administrators would like the next Muir football coach to be a full-time teacher. They want one with an educational background that is fit to handle the tedious job of running a football program. But an education doesn’t teach you how to care for your players. It doesn’t teach how to go above and beyond your responsibilities. It doesn’t teach what Howard did two weeks ago when he used the Mustangs’ bye week to take a group of players on a four-day weekend camping trip to Yosemite. Nope, something inside the man is responsible for that. MUIR High School interim football coach Ken Howard doesn’t call many plays. He leaves that for his offensive and defensive coordinators. But give him credit for what’s happening to the Mustangs’ football program, which is 4-2 and 1-0 in league after beating Arcadia 47-31 in the Pacific League opener last week. Howard’s work off the field, and on the sidelines managing personalities, pales in comparison to what happens on the field for 48 minutes every week. A few years ago Mustangs coach Ron Mims was fired and told later that it was because his players lacked discipline.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A Los Angeles fire captain injured by a high-voltage power line was listed in stable condition Monday at Grossman Burn Center, where he will undergo surgery for his burns today. Capt. Eric J. Greene of the Los Angeles Fire Department, shocked unconscious when his ladder touched a power line Friday, is being treated for burns to both hands. “Capt. Greene’s condition has improved considerably,” said department spokesman Brian Humphrey. “He’s awake, alert and talking.” The 28-year firefighting veteran suffered the severe electrical shock Friday night while he investigated smoke near the top of a five-story building in Santa Monica. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Firefighters found the 52-year-old firefighter – not breathing and with no pulse – slumped over his ladder. He was treated at the scene and at Kaiser Sunset Hospital before being sent to Grossman Burn Center. Greene, who was injured on both hands where the power entered and left his body, is scheduled to receive burn debridement – or scraping away of dead tissue – and skin grafts sometime today. Dana Bartholomew, (818) 713-3730 email@example.com
SIMI VALLEY – Sgt. Jonathan Tessar, a Green Beret killed last month in Iraq, was remembered Friday, Veterans Day, as a fierce, brave leader who protected his soldiers and loved his country. The 36-year-old Simi Valley native dreamt of becoming “a special-forces Ranger with tattoos” and fulfilled a boyhood dream when he joined the Army at 17, family members said. Nearly two decades later, he was eulogized as a mischievous youngster who loved candy and cartoons and went on to become a hero who trained his soldiers, knowing they would fight beside him in war. “His life started when his military career began,” said his older brother Bill Tessar, shedding tears. “He loved his country the way a little girl loves her puppy. “He was faithful and loyal in his commitment to the service,” said Msgr. Gary Bauler, who presided over the service. “His service was his best expression of love, and that love will live forever.” The sergeant first class served in the Gulf War, Bosnia and Iraq “so people might be free; to treasure what we have and to know someone cared so much that he would sacrifice his life,” Bauler added. “He had no regrets.” Sgt. John Cameron read a letter from a sergeant who served under Tessar and is in Iraq. “(He) told me what he expected out of me,” he said, “for me to do whatever he said and everything would be fine. He would always tell me he’d take care of us. “He was always one to laugh. He will be remembered by how he lived his life.” Tessar marched to a different drum, his brother said, joking that he had a flattop when long hair was in. “My brother did not want to die for his country, but he was willing to do so,” said Bill Tessar. “For the rest of my life, I will see to it that my little brother, Jonathan, is never forgotten for what he did for his country.” Angie Valencia-Martinez, (805) 583-7604 firstname.lastname@example.org 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week “He spoke. He did. He lived. He died.” The special-forces soldier died Oct. 31 when a bomb detonated near a Humvee carrying him and three other servicemen. He was months away from retiring and joining his wife, Nancy, and three children in Kentucky. The fallen soldier will be buried Monday at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia, along with his medals, including a Purple Heart and Bronze Star. Tessar was Simi Valley’s fifth casualty of war. He was assigned to the Army’s 2nd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division. Hundreds packed St. Peter Claver Catholic Church in Simi Valley, where Tessar’s flag-draped coffin was sprinkled with holy water, his military dog tags dangled from the neck of his wife and mourners sang “Amazing Grace” and “America the Beautiful.”
See also:Blues unsure whether to ‘gamble’ on CostaFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
OAKLAND — Pitcher Brett Anderson said he felt good as he went through his simulated game Saturday morning and depending on how his arm responds in the next 24 hours, could start at some point on the A’s six-game road trip that begins Tuesday in Baltimore.Anderson threw three simulated innings, 15 pitches each inning — working quite a bit on his breaking ball — at the Coliseum and came out of it in a positive frame of mind. Anderson has been on the disabled list since Aug. 28 with a strained …
20 September 2012More than 28 countries are showcasing their aircrafts’ capabilities at the 7th Africa Aerospace and Defence exhibition and airshow, which kicked off at Waterkloof Air Force Base in Pretoria on Wednesday.Defence and Military Veterans Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula officially opened Africa’s largest exhibition of air, sea and land capability, which is expected to attract thousands of local visitors and foreign tourists.The exhibition, which was previously held at Air Force Base Ysterplaat in Cape Town in 2006, 2008 and 2010, returns to Waterkloof after extensive renovations and upgrades at the base.From Wednesday through Friday, trade and static displays will attract visitors from more than 28 countries, followed by an airshow on Saturday and Sunday that will be open to members of the public.The trade days, which will feature 12 national pavilions from India, Russia, Turkey, Italy, Germany, Belgium, China, USA, UK, Romania, Pakistan and Brazil, are expected to stimulate business for local and international companies involved in the growing defence, general aviation and security industries.For the public, the allure of the show will be in the form of breath-taking aerobatic displays on the weekend.There will also be lots of entertainment for the whole family, including static displays of aircraft, trucks and armoured vehicles and an entertainment park for children.According to the organisers, this year’s event will have a positive impact on the local economy through tourism as well as the business deals that are expected to be concluded during and after the event.According to the organisers, all the exhibition space was sold out almost three months before the show.Source: SANews.gov.za