Trump fans head to the streets as he pushes false election claims

first_imgTrump supporters read their phones after Biden was named President-elect while protesting outside the Maricopa County elections building on November 7, 2020 in Phoenix, Arizona.Gina Ferazzi | Los Angeles Times | Getty Images – Advertisement – – Advertisement – The pro-Trump demonstrations in Washington and other cities were scheduled to feature a mix of the president’s backers, far-right personalities and members of the Oath Keepers militia and Proud Boys in a public display of support for his effort to stay in power.Organizers have given the rallies various names, including the Million MAGA March, the March for Trump and Stop the Steal. MAGA is an acronym for the Trump campaign slogan “Make America Great Again.” Trump has tweeted his support.- Advertisement –center_img Some left-wing groups are planning counter-demonstrations in Washington and other cities.Biden further solidified his victory on Friday as results from Edison Research showed him winning Georgia, giving him a final tally of 306 Electoral College votes, far more than the 270 needed to be elected president and above Trump’s 232.The 306 votes was equal to what Trump won in his 2016 victory over Hillary Clinton, which he then called a “landslide.”Trump briefly appeared close to acknowledging the likelihood he will be leaving the White House in January during remarks at a White House event.“This administration will not be going to a lockdown. Hopefully the, uh, whatever happens in the future – who knows which administration it will be? I guess time will tell,” Trump said in his first public remarks since Biden was projected as the election’s winner a week ago.With the election outcome becoming clearer, Trump has discussed with advisers possible media ventures and appearances that would keep him in the spotlight ahead of a possible 2024 White House bid, aides said.He is considering starting a television channel or social media company to compete with those he felt betrayed him and stifled his ability to communicate directly with Americans, according to several advisers.In the near term, Trump is expected to campaign for Republican candidates in Georgia ahead of two Jan. 5 runoff elections that will determine which party controls the U.S. Senate.Failing in courtTrump has refused to concede to Biden and claims without evidence that he was cheated by widespread election fraud. State election officials report no serious irregularities, and several of his legal challenges have failed in court.A Michigan state court on Friday rejected a request by Trump’s supporters to block the certification of votes in Detroit, which went heavily in favor of Biden. And lawyers for Trump’s campaign dropped a lawsuit in Arizona after the final vote count there rendered it moot.Federal election security officials have found no evidence that any voting system deleted, lost or changed votes, “or was in any way compromised,” two security groups said in a statement released on Thursday by the lead U.S. cybersecurity agency.To win a second term, Trump would need to overturn Biden’s lead in at least three states, but he has so far failed to produce evidence that he could do so in any of them.States face a Dec. 8 deadline to certify their elections and choose electors for the Electoral College, which will officially select the new president on Dec. 14.Trump’s refusal to accept defeat has stalled the official transition. The federal agency that releases funding to an incoming president-elect, the General Services Administration, has yet to recognize Biden’s victory, denying him access to federal office space and resources.But Biden, who will meet with advisers about the transition on Saturday in his home state of Delaware, has pressed ahead with the process, identifying legislative priorities, reviewing federal agency policies and preparing to fill thousands of jobs in the new administration.“We’re charging ahead with the transition,” Jen Psaki, a senior adviser to Biden’s transition team, said while stressing Biden still needs “real-time information” from the Trump administration to deal with the resurgent coronavirus pandemic and national security threats.Although the national popular vote does not determine the election outcome, Biden was ahead by more than 5.3 million votes, or 3.4 percentage points. His share of the popular vote, at 50.8%, was slightly higher than Ronald Reagan’s in 1980 when he defeated incumbent Jimmy Carter. President Donald Trump’s supporters took to the streets on Saturday to back his unsubstantiated claims of election fraud as he pushes ahead with a flurry of longshot legal challenges to overturn President-elect Joe Biden’s victory.Trump has made little headway in the courts with his lawsuits and for the first time on Friday he began to sound doubtful about his prospects, telling reporters “time will tell” who occupies the White House from Jan. 20.There have been other pro-Trump protests around the country since Biden was projected the winner on Nov. 7, but they have been small and unfolded with few incidents.- Advertisement –last_img read more

Ad unfairly attacks effective Joe Landry

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion I usually don’t pay much attention to a lot of the political mail that comes our way. But one arrived today from the state Republican Committee that made my jaw drop. It included a photo of a rowing team and claimed that Niskayuna Supervisor Joe Landry “violated our environment and put our kids’ health at risk.” Talk about “fake news.”Well, the fact is Joe Landry was the driving force behind the town receiving a $150,000 state grant to make safety and environmental enhancements to Aqueduct Park, home to Niskayuna Rowing. This leveraged an additional $150,000 in community support to install public bathrooms, add additional dock space and construct a new retaining wall to protect the Mohawk from pollution and runoff. What’s more, the town was just awarded an additional $35,000 to make the park’s waterfront safer and more accessible for all to better enjoy the river.As a parent of a rower, I also question the appropriateness of the GOP using a photograph of children without parental permission in such an attack piece.Joe Landry has worked very hard behind the scenes to improve the quality of life we enjoy in Niskayuna. He deserves another term. Not such misleading attacks.Richard BennettNiskayunaMore from The Daily Gazette:Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesNiskayuna girls’ cross country wins over BethlehemEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusPuccioni’s two goals help Niskayuna boys’ soccer top Shaker, remain perfectlast_img read more

Letters to the Editor for Friday, Sep. 20

first_imgMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homes Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionTrump destined to lose China trade warPresident Trump has been correct to focus on the economic and trade challenges China presents to the United States.However, rather than go it alone, Trump should have sought a united front with European and Asian allies. Instead, he antagonized our European allies and withdrew from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).Moreover, his use of tariffs harms American consumers and businesses, and is also harming European and Asian allies.Trump will not win his trade  war with China for these reasons:1. The Chinese are accustomed to dealing with economic hardship while Americans are less willing to accept it, recall the 2018-2019 government shutdown. Eventually, public disapproval will force our government to relent on tariffs. The Chinese government won’t succumb to public disapproval.2. China’s totalitarian form of government allows its leaders to adopt the long view in matters of national goals. Our democratic form of government doesn’t respond well to issues which require the long view.Changes in administrations often result in changes in policies, recall the Iranian nuclear deal.3. The tariff war with China is exacerbating the slowdown in the world economy.Domestic and foreign economic markets have an aversion to the unpredictability created by Trump’s trade policies. Wild swings in markets will continue to plague our economy.4. The 2020 elections will put enormous pressure on the Trump administration to resolve the trade war with China. Republican support for tariffs will fade.In the end, Trump will blink first in his game of chicken with China.Don SteinerSchenectadyInclude all sports in concussion responseThank you for your Sept. 3 article on the signed legislation (S2958A) that will require youth tackle football programs in New York to provide parents with information on concussions (“Concussion Legislation is Signed”).I am a high school athletic trainer working in the Albany area and recognize this law will provide service to a different group than the Concussion Management and Awareness Act.Enacted in 2012, it provides public high school student athletes access to a coordinated team of coaches, athletic directors, athletic trainers, school nurses, physicians, and teachers, all collaborating to educate about concussion, identify when a possible concussion has occurred, and work with student athletes to get medical attention, and progress to return to play and return to school.This new law will target those participating at the youth level and as such, is a great opportunity for parents and children participating in youth football to receive direct education. However, I would like to emphasize that many children participate in sports other than football who are also at risk of concussion.As a certified athletic trainer serving youth, I would encourage a similar but broader initiative to include all sports and performing arts at risk of concussions.Understanding the symptoms and management of a concussion is crucial to recovery, and this bill provides us with a springboard to educate parents and students across the spectrum of sports.Aimee Brunelle, MS, ATCSchenectadyThe writer is a member of the New York State Athletic Trainers’ Association.last_img read more

Dodgers’ Julio Urias won’t be charged from domestic violence arrest

first_imgThe Dodgers released a statement at the time of the arrest acknowledging the team was aware of the incident and gathering facts, while manager Dave Roberts skirted around the issue.Urias was reinstated by the league May 21 after he was placed on seven-day administrative leave after his arrest.Several players have been suspended for such incidents including Astros reliever Roberto Osuna, who was with the Blue Jays at the time, and Cubs shortstop Addison Russell, who was recently reinstated.MLB has declined to give suspensions to Reds outfielder Yasiel Puig and Twins infielder Miguel Sano following investigations into their alleged incidents. Police were called after the incident, but both Urias and the woman allegedly said no physical altercation took place. However, witnesses told TMZ that Urias pushed the woman.Urias was arrested and taken to a nearby police station, where he was charged with one count of misdemeanor domestic battery and later released on a $20,000 bond. He is set to appear in court June 4.  Related News Dallas Keuchel rumors: Are these 3 teams the favorites to sign the starter? Phillies’ Odubel Herrera on leave at least 2 more weeks after arrestcenter_img Urias, 22, was once MLB’s top left-handed pitching prospect and made his debut with the Dodgers at 19 years old.He has appeared in 12 games (four starts) this season and is 3-2 with a 3.78 ERA (14 ER/33 1/3 IP) with 36 strikeouts.He recorded his first career save May 6 against the Braves and is 2 for 2 in save chances. In his four-year MLB career, he is a combined 8-6 with a 3.73 ERA (57 ER/137.2 IP) in 38 games (24 starts). Dodgers pitcher Julio Urias will not face charges related to his arrest for domestic violence in May as long as he participates in a 52-week domestic counseling program and commits no acts of violence for the next year, the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office announced Monday.The alleged incident occurred May 13 when witnesses said Urias shoved a woman later identified as his girlfriend. It was reportedly caught on tape at a mall in Los Angeles, but MLB was unable to obtain a copy of the footage because officials declined to release it, according to ESPN.last_img read more

John Calipari: Sporting News college basketball Coach of the Decade

first_imgAfter 10 seasons that included 305 total victories, 31 NCAA Tournament wins, nine NCAA appearances, seven Elite Eights, four Final Fours and an NCAA championship that ended a 13-year drought for the Kentucky Wildcats — so much of this achieved by 25 players who spent a single one-and-done season in Lexington — John Calipari tells us “there was no master plan” for this college basketball revolution.There was an ideal, though, that he wanted to pursue. “I knew we were going to make the program — and I said it at the press conference — it was going to be a players-first program,” Calipari told Sporting News. “We were going to make decisions based on them and their needs. And it’s not just about the name on the front. It’ll be about the name on the back. That’s how we’re going to do this.”MORE: Sporting News’ college basketball All-Decade teamThat’s the kind of sacrilege Calipari invited into college basketball, which is one reason he is not terribly popular, which is one reason the NBA draft’s age-limit rule came into disrepute. (Seriously, who was complaining when it got Thad Matta and Ohio State to the 2007 NCAA title game?) And it’s why selecting him as SN’s college basketball Coach of the Decade surely will not be met with universal acclaim.Villanova’s Jay Wright (2016, 2018) and Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski (2010, 2015) both won multiple championships in the 2010s. Why not them? Indeed, why not? Either would have been a deserving choice. They are extraordinary coaches.No one defined the 2010s in the same way as Calipari, though, nor achieved the same degree of consistent excellence. Calipari won more NCAA Tournament games this decade than all but five other active coaches did in their entire careers, or 18 coaches in the game’s history. He avoided sub-.500 seasons and first-round NCAA defeats. Kentucky was a single basket away from two more Final Four appearances.Six times during the decade, Kentucky had the No. 1-ranked recruiting class, so perhaps the Wildcats should have been expected to achieve great things. Recruiting is a huge part of what makes a great coach, though. And the number of one-and-done players to roll through Kentucky made it imperative to land elite talent every single year. The Wildcats also were challenged, though, to form successful teams almost from scratch on an annual basis.In the 2009-10 season, Kentucky reached the Elite Eight before losing to West Virginia. After the season, four freshmen departed the program and became first-round draft choices: John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe and Daniel Orton. And the following year, the Wildcats reached the Final Four. And after losing freshman point guard Brandon Knight from that team to the draft, the 2011-12 Wildcats won the NCAA championship.“What I’m basically saying is, in the short term, there was no design,” Calipari told SN. “As it unfolded, I said, ‘We’re about these kids, and we’ll deal with what’s left. And then that’s what we do every year.”Calipari’s flexibility and patience allowed him to manage this even in the most daunting circumstances. The 2012-13 season had been ruined by Nerlens Noel’s season-ending injury and the Wildcats missed the NCAAs. The Wildcats struggled to find a winning formula the next season, losing a home game in late February 2014 to fall to 21-7, following that up with losses against Arkansas and South Carolina, and then a 19-point blowout at No. 1 Florida. Even with a national title just two years earlier, Calipari’s use of one-and-done players was nationally vilified. That team wound up playing in the NCAA title game.MORE: Jalen Brunson is the college basketball Athlete of the DecadeIt was a pivotal point for Calipari’s approach. There were fewer complaints about it, and there were more people attempting the same. Duke shifted to join the fight for potential one-and-done prospects it identifies as ideal candidates for the Blue Devils program, and beat out UK for the No. 1 class four times between 2014 and 2018. The Blue Devils also won a national title and reached two Elite Eights with the products of that approach.“There were two points. One point was in 2012 winning the national title, which put everyone on their heels a bit because we did it with three freshmen, and two sophomores,” Calipari said. “And then in 2014, you remember it was March before that team came together. It was March. So that did help (change the perception).“But the other thing that helped was now we have a bunch of guys staying for 2015 and now I have too many guys. I could have told those guys to leave, which is the old way of doing it: ‘You leave because we don’t need you anymore and you stay because we need you.’ I don’t do it that way. The kids make the choice here.”Calipari said the platoon system that resulted that year, which produced 38 consecutive victories and a Final Four appearance, did lead some who recruited against Kentucky to suggest to prospects that it might not be so appealing for an NBA lottery prospect to average 23 minutes a game. But he still has been able to attract such players as PJ Washington, Jamal Murray, Bam Adebayo and De’Aaron Fox since. The recruiting class he has lined up for 2020 is ranked No. 1.But that group is about the next decade — this is about the 2010s. This is about All-Americans John Wall, Anthony Davis, Willie Cauley-Stein and Tyler Ulis.This is about how Calipari was able to get three players who ranked outside the top 25 in their high school classes — Eric Bledsoe, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Tyler Herro — into the NBA Draft’s first round after a single season. It’s about how 24 of the 25 players who left after a single year completed their spring semester of academic work — making liars of those who claimed most one-and-done players were only taking a few fall classes and then splitting — earning APR awards from the NCAA for five years running and maintaining access to the lifetime scholarships Kentucky has promised to those who follow through on that promise.It’s about how he impacted a very significant segment of college basketball history. Each year, he starts over with a new group of players. And, pretty much without exception, he ends with a team capable of challenging for the title.“The reality of it is, it takes us time,” Calipari said. “It’s hard. It’s hard on the staff. And the best thing I can tell you is when you have an administration that accepts what we’re doing and why, that knows that we care about kids, and that it’s working for everybody involved.”last_img read more