Melbourne, Kingston in key clash

first_imgOut-of-favour West Indies spinner Nikita Miller believes second-place Melbourne have what it takes to overcome the challenge of leaders Kingston in their top-of-the-table Jamaica Cricket Association 50-Overs Championship clash at Melbourne Oval today.The Zone D fixture, one of 11 final preliminary round matches on, weather permitting, will see Melbourne looking to win and stave off the challenges of St Thomas CA and Kensington CC, who are both looking to cop the second spot.The unbeaten Kingston, captained by Brandon King, have an unassailable 24 points after four matches, while Melbourne have 18.St Thomas and Kensington, who will meet at Goodyear Oval, have 12 points each.”It’s a crucial game, and when there is a crucial game like this, you have to go hard,” said Miller, captain of Melbourne.Out-of-contention Boys Town and Lucas will meet in the zone’s other encounter at Collie Smith Drive.In other matches, leaders St Elizabeth face eliminated Westmoreland, and second-position St James will host third-place Hanover in Zone A.Early qualifiers St Catherine CA will host Kingston and St Andrew CA, second-place St Catherine CC play eliminated Manchester, and third-place Clarendon welcome GC Foster College in Zone B.Meanwhile, in Zone C, University of the West Indies will travel to second-place St Ann, third-place Jamaica Defence Force play Portland at Folly Oval, while St Mary entertain Police at Three Hills Oval.last_img read more

Ashes 2019: stellar images from an unforgettable summer

first_imgFifth Test: The Oval The first match of the series featured the return to Test cricket of the Australian trio Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft following suspensions for their respective parts in the ball-tampering scandal of 2018, aka “Sandpapergate”. Needless to say, few England fans were willing to let bygones be bygones.Warner, one of the Australian openers, soon fell to a delivery by Stuart Broad – a recurring theme in the series – and copped an earful from the home fans as he departed. But what of Smith? The former Australian captain struck a superb 144, helping the tourists to recover from a disastrous 122-8 to eventually post 284 all out. In reply, England’s Rory Burns scored 133 – his maiden Test century – as England made 374 all out. It’s nice to get a hundred. It’s almost a little more sour when you can’t get the win.Player of the match Ben Stokes Headingley 2019: the greatest Test match ever played? Discuss.For sheer drama and down-to-the-wire brilliance, the final day of the third Test will go down in legend; so too will its key protagonists. Ben Stokes and Jack Leach hauled England to an unthinkable victory with a show of great resilience – the latter earning himself a lifetime supply of Specsavers glasses to boot.But how did it ever come to that? For the second Test running, the start of play was delayed by rain. Australia collapsed to 179 all out in their first innings and Archer ended with figures of six for 45. However, England were woeful in reply: all out for only 67, it was their 12th lowest Test score of all time. Josh Hazlewood picked up a five-wicket haul for the visitors and England looked like they had thrown the Ashes away. Fourth Test: Old Traffford Edgbaston’s Hollies Stand is recognised worldwide for its fancy dress and carnival atmosphere. Fans came in various guises including a group dressed as the England 1966 World Cup winners (replete with the Jules Rimet trophy) and a Donald Trump baby blimp. Many brought pieces of sandpaper to bate the Aussies. It’s the best kiss I’ve ever had!England’s Ben Stokes on Jack Leach The second Australian innings saw another century for Smith – his 10th Ashes ton – and 110 for Matthew Wade. Australia declared on 487 for 7, leaving England chasing 398 to win. Australian bowlers Pat Cummins and Nathan Lyons were in inspired form when England returned to the crease, taking all 10 wickets for only 146 runs. England’s misery in defeat was worsened by the news that their seam bowler James Anderson, who bowled only four overs in the Test, would miss the rest of the series with a calf injury. In the dying stages, when England needed just two runs, Nathan Lyon fumbled a brilliant chance to run out Leach who was miles from his crease. The next ball looked like a plumb lbw shout but Australia had burned all their reviews. Leach then scrambled a single off Pat Cummins before Stokes hammered through the covers to complete an astonishing victory.As delirious celebrations swept the ground, Leach planted a smacker on Stokes. England had not only saved the Ashes, they’d given themselves a chance to go on and win it. Only one thing remained to be settled in the fifth Test: could Australia win the Ashes series outright, or could England force a creditable draw? Remarkably, Australia’s captain, Tim Paine, put England in to bat after winning the toss – one of his many questionable decisions in the series – allowing the home side to chalk up 294 in their first innings. Jos Buttler top scored with 70.In return, Warner fell cheaply again as Archer took six for 62. Woakes removed Smith lbw, but not before the Australian had plundered another 80 runs. After the delirium of Leeds, England’s performance at Old Trafford fell flat. The Aussies ran rampant in their first innings, racking up 497 for 8 before declaring. Steve Smith was once again the main architect of their innings, scoring 211 before being caught by Joe Denly off Joe Root. England narrowly avoided the follow-on when they posted 301 in reply – Stokes could only muster 26 in his first stint at the crease – but even the arrival of storm clouds couldn’t alter the course of the Test. First Test: Edgbaston In their second innings, Australia scored 246 all out to give themselves a lead of 358, meaning England needed their highest ever successful run-chase in Test cricket.England reached day four of the Test on 156 for 3, giving themselves a ray of hope. But Joe Root was then caught behind before Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Chris Woakes, Jofra Archer and Stuart Broad all departed in the space of 16 crippling overs. England had only one wicket remaining with 73 more runs needed for victory. It looked impossible.Jack Leach joined Ben Stokes in the middle and the two men created a partnership for the ages. Stokes reached his century with a masterful display of batting, while Leach, whose glasses frequently steamed up as the pressure mounted, was the perfect defensive foil. At times, Stokes was so nervous he was unable to watch his partner on strike. England’s second innings saw Joe Root out for a golden duck to Cummins on day four, before rain brought proceedings to a premature end. A sprightly batting display from Ben Stokes, who bludgeoned 115 from 165 balls, allowed the hosts to declare on 258 for 5 in order to chase a late win. However, Labuschagne and Travis Head proved obstinate for Australia, putting on 85 runs for the fourth wicket.Ultimately, despite placing numerous fielders at close quarters in the dying light, England could not skittle Australia and the match was drawn. England’s 329 runs in their second innings teed up the prospect of victory. But for that to happen, they’d surely have to find a way through Smith. Unexpectedly, Smith fell cheaply by his standards but Matthew Wade made 117 off 166 balls. The innings featured an increasingly hostile battle between Wade and Archer as the Australians scrambled in vain. Their target, 399, was never in sight and when Root caught Hazelwood off Leach’s delivery in the 76th over, England sealed victory and salvaged a series draw. Second Test: Lord’s Smith top scored (again) in the second innings as Australia declared on 186 for six, setting England a run-chase of 383. When Burns fell for a duck and was instantly followed by Root – out first ball to a monstrous delivery by Pat Cummins – late on day four, England were 0 for 2. Jason Roy defended the hat-trick ball and survived until the close of play, but England’s hopes were in tatters.A brief rally on day five gave Australia the jitters – Jos Buttler, Craig Overton and Jack Leach all provided solid resistance to Australia’s otherwise inspired trio of Pat Cummins, Marnus Labuschagne and Josh Hazlewood. The latter eventually took Overton’s wicket lbw to end the contest and ensure Australia retained the Ashes on English soil for the first time since 2001. ‘I have never doubted my ability … it has been a dream comeback.’Australia’s Steve Smith The sight of Jofra Archer blitzing Smith in the second Test will live long in the memory; it echoed the infamous Bodyline series of 1932-33, which is still talked about today.Archer hit speeds in excess of 96mph and caught Smith twice in quick succession with bouncers in Australia’s first innings. The first cracked Smith on the forearm; the second careered into the back of his neck and sent him sprawling to the floor. After a concussion assessment and a brief rest, Smith was allowed to carry on, but he was later forced to retire from the Test.Prior to that, the two sides had only traded metaphorical blows. After a washout on day one, Australia had won the toss and sent England – who wore red caps in support of the Ruth Strauss Foundation – in to bat. England made 258 all out.Warner fell in the fifth over of the visitors’ reply – his third single-digit score of the series – bowled again by his nemesis Broad. Then Archer claimed his first Test wicket, dismissing Cameron Bancroft lbw. With Smith losing his wicket LBW to Chris Woakes only eight runs short of another century, Australia’s tailenders tumbled before tea and the tourists finished with a total of 250. Third Test: Headingley The urn may not be coming home, but it’s been a whirlwind few months for English cricket. First a World Cup win in the one-day format, then the heroics of Headingley in a tumultuous Ashes series. A cricketing summer never to be forgotten.last_img read more

Lloris sendoff vs PSV leaves Tottenham nearly eliminated

first_imgA red card after a foul on Hirving Lozano, leave Hugo Lloris as the man responsible for Tottenham Hotspur’s near elimination in the Champions League.Tottenham Hotspur is very close to getting eliminated in the Champions League, all thanks to a red card to goalkeeper Hugo Lloris that allowed PSV Eindhoven to tie the game near the final whistle.Mauricio Pochettino’s side was very close to getting a vital victory at Phillips Stadium on Wednesday, a win that the desperately needed after not getting the expected results in the first two matches of the competition against Internazionale Milano and FC Barcelona.The Spurs played the early match on Wednesday, which they began losing thanks to an individual play that Hirving Lozano completed against the English club’s defensive line near the first half hour of the match.Fortunately for Pochettino and his squad, Lucas Moura scored the equalizer before halftime after Kieran Trippier’s assist.FULL-TIME: A late equaliser for the hosts sees us leave Eindhoven with a point.— Tottenham Hotspur (@SpursOfficial) October 24, 2018During the second half, Harry Kane was able to score Tottenham’s second goal with a header after Eriksen’s clinical cross from the left.Victor Wanyama, Tottenham Hotspur, Premier LeaguePochettino admits Wanyama remains in his Spurs plans Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Kenyan international, Victor Wanyama, was the protagonist of a summer transfer saga, but in the end, he is set to stay at Tottenham Hotspur.This provisional victory was able to withstand until the 79th minute of the match, which was exactly when Hugo Lloris made his second mistake of the game in front of Mexican winger Hirving Lozano.This time it was an irresponsible slide, one that the referee show Hugo Lloris a red card with 10 minutes still on the clock.This was more than enough time for PSV to equalize the game, which they did through Luuk de Jong in the 87th minute of the game.This result leaves Spurs closer to getting eliminated from the competition, which was completely expected given that they are part of the Group of Death.PSV Eindhoven is in the same situation, both clubs only have a point and they desperately need to win their last three matches of this group stage.Your feeling right now? 😶#PSVTOT— PSV International (@psveindhoven) October 24, 2018last_img read more

New Zealand shooter shows no signs of remorse and smirks in court

first_imgA day after the deadly mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, the alleged shooter was presented in court on Saturday, March 16, morning. Australian-born Brenton Harrison Tarrant did not seek a name suppression during his court appearance and is said to have shown no signs of remorse.Instead, the accused smirked at media persons present and swayed while the charges were read out. The 28-year-old Dunedin resident, flanked by two policemen, appeared in white prison clothes, shackled and barefeet, and remained silent throughout.He has been charged with murder and sent to custody without plea until April 5, when he will be produced before the high court for a hearing, reported NZ Herald. Flowers and messages of condolence are left outside the Ponsonby mosque on March 16, 2019Phil Walter/Getty ImagesDuring the hearing, Judge Paul Kellar in the Christchurch District Court said it was “reasonable to assume” that the man would face further murder charges. While he allowed media persons to take photographs and film the proceedings, he ordered that Tarrant’s face be pixelated as his identity might be a part of the court case. A large crowd assembles in Aotea Square for a memorial to remember the victims of the Christchurch mosque shootings on March 16, 2019Phil Walter/Getty ImagesForty-nine people were killed and at least 40 others sustained serious injuries when a gunman opened fire during afternoon prayers at two mosques on Friday, March 15. The New Zealand Police Commissioner confirmed the death toll and said that four people — three men and one woman — had been taken into custody. It was later notified that one of the detained was later let go. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern speaks to the media on March 16, 2019 in Christchurch, New ZealandKai Schwoerer/Getty ImagesSpeaking of Tarrant, New Zealand’s prime minister Jacinda Ardern said that he had obtained a “Category A” gun licence in November 2017, and had started buying weapons — two semi-automatic rifles, two shotguns and a lever-action weapon — in December 2018.”The mere fact… that this individual had acquired a gun licence and acquired weapons of that range, then obviously I think people will be seeking change, and I’m committing to that,” the Agence France-Presse quoted Ardern as saying.”While work is being done as to the chain of events that led to both the holding of this gun licence, and the possession of these weapons, I can tell you one thing right now — our gun laws will change.”She also confirmed that Tarrant and the other two detainees weren’t on the terror watchlist in New Zealand or Australia. “The individual charged with murder had not come to the attention of the intelligence community, nor the police, for extremism,” she added.”I have asked our agencies this morning to work swiftly on assessing whether there was any activity on social media or otherwise, that should have triggered a response. That work is already underway.”It was earlier said that a social media post surfaced just before the attack and is believed to have been written by one of the shooters. The post contained a link to an 87-page manifesto that spoke of anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim ideas and explanations, reported CNN. In tune, Ardern said that officials are also investigating a “far-right extremism” angle. Close IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPlayMute0:00/0:56Loaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-0:56?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading …center_img New Zealand mosque shootings: Several killed after gunmen open fire in Christchurchlast_img read more

51 foreign prisoners get amnesty in Myanmar

first_imgMyanmarThe Myanmar government has granted amnesty to 51 foreigners serving prison terms in the country, the President’s Office said on Tuesday.The amnesty was granted as a gesture to mark the new calendar year in the country, in view of relations with the foreign nations and on ground of humanity, the announcement said.The pardoned foreign prisoners were deported, Xinhua news agency reported.It was also the first amnesty announcement after new president U Win Myint assumed office on 30 March.last_img read more

Tonight AFROs First Edition with Sean Yoes Friday July 15

first_imgListen at WEAA Live Stream:
A review of some of the top news stories of the week, directly from the pages of the AFRO with managing editor Kamau High. Plus, The Mod Squad, Taya Graham and Stephen Janis of The Real News Network report on politics and law enforcement, including resistance to law enforcement reform in the wake of the Dallas shootings.
These stories and much more on AFRO’s First Edition with Sean Yoes.last_img