Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta claims Jamie Vardy should have been sent off before Eddie Nketiah red card

first_imgThe Spaniard felt Leicester’s frontman should have seen red himself (Pictures: Sky Sports)Mikel Arteta has taken aim at Jamie Vardy over his challenge on Shkodran Mustafi during Arsenal’s draw with Leicester City on Tuesday night and believes the forward should have seen red.The Gunners took an early lead at the Emirates after Bukayo Saka put the ball on a plate for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, though the match ultimately hinged on a moment in the second half when an intervention from VAR saw Eddie Nketiah sent off for a late challenge.Arsenal’s 10-man rear guard could not hold on, conceding to Vardy late on – though Arteta feels the Leicester frontman should not even have been on the pitch and questioned the refereeing. Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 7 Jul 2020 11:11 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.2kShares Comment Vardy caught Mustafi’s face with his studs at the very end of the first half (Picture: DAZN)Reacting to Arteta’s comments, Jamie Redknapp said: ‘This is one where only Jamie Vardy can tell us if he meant to do him or not, because he slips and then they go in for a challenge and his right foot goes into [Mustafi’s] eye and it looks really nasty.‘I’d like to think he wouldn’t mean that, but I can see what Mikel Arteta is saying because it looks really dangerous and he’s caught him in his face with his studs.’On the VAR decision to send Nketiah off, Arteta added: ‘I don’t understand the rules. Since I’ve been in this country, in the last year I’ve never seen a referee check any of the images. It’s the rules, I can do nothing now.’MORE: Cesc Fabregas leaps to Eddie Nketiah’s defence after red card against LeicesterMORE: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang delighted for Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli after Arsenal tie down young duoFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Vardy netted at the death to dent Arsenal’s slim Champions League hopes (Picture: Getty)Asked for his thoughts on the game and the red card, Arteta told Sky Sports: ‘Well I’m extremely proud of our team, the way we played, against this type of opposition, how dominant we were.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘The first half that we made, clearly we should have gone three or four nil up and killed the game – and that’s what you have to do against this type of opposition.‘With the red card decision, he doesn’t see the player, he has to know he’s a young kid. It can be a red card.‘But then Leicester has to play with 10 men after 42 minutes.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalAsked which challenge he was referring to, he continued: ‘For one challenge which is between the 40 and the 45 minutes – that has to be a red card as well.’Probed again on which challenge he meant, Arteta said: ‘One challenge which is between the 40 and the 45 minutes.’The challenge he was referring to happened just before the half-time break when Vardy and Mustafi came together, with the Leicester forward’s boot hitting the defender in the face on the deck, and Arteta clearly thought there was more malice in the challenge.center_img Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta claims Jamie Vardy should have been sent off before Eddie Nketiah red card Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Mourinho: I belong to Chelsea

first_img The Serbia midfielder left the Blues in 2011 as a makeweight in the deal that brought Brazilian David Luiz to Stamford Bridge. After two years with Benfica though, Chelsea look ready to bring the 25-year-old back for a second stint at the club. Chelsea are also expected to allow Kevin De Bruyne to make a swift Stamford Bridge exit. Reports in Germany suggest only fine print remains on a deal for the Belgium midfielder to join Wolfsburg. The 22-year-old has made just three Chelsea appearances since his 2012 switch from Genk. Jose Mourinho has pledged his long-term future to Chelsea, claiming he does not want to manage anywhere else. “I will have a next move if and when Chelsea decides it’s time for that. “I’m here to stay. I belong to Chelsea, Chelsea belong to me. I gave a lot to Chelsea in the past but they also gave a lot to me. This is a different professional relationship.” Mourinho spent five years away from west London, in spells with Inter Milan and Real Madrid. But the 50-year-old now feels his European odyssey is at an end, admitting to feeling settled with his family in London, back at the club he first led between 2004 and 2007. “We kept our house (in London) from last time and, although we tried to hide it, we came lots of times,” said Mourinho. “The success I had in my career gave me the possibility to choose my destiny. “When I made the decision I didn’t know if Chelsea would be available and if the door would be open but when it did, the picture was perfect for me.” After dismissing rumours Chelsea will seek additions to their forward line in the January transfer window, Mourinho is expected to bring Nemanja Matic back to the club. The Portuguese manager started his second stint at Stamford Bridge in the summer, and has vowed to stay for the long haul. “I’m not here thinking about my next move because I don’t want to have a next move,” he told the Evening Standard. Press Associationlast_img read more

`We will put our best foot forward to make Pan American Hockey Championships a good show’ –GHB President

first_imgPRESIDENT of the Guyana Hockey Board (GHB), Phillips Fernandes reaffirmed that nothing but the best was put forth for Guyana’s hosting of the Pan American Indoor Hockey Championships, which begins tomorrow, even as the Board came under much praise from the overseas team managers and officials for the facility and hospitality in Guyana.“We will put our best foot forward to make it a good tournament and a good show,” Fernandes declared yesterday at a press briefing held at the Sleep-In Hotel and Casino, Church Street.“We have put in the infrastructure as best we could; they’ve been some upgrades to our facility. We’ve done our best to make it as comfortable for our guests. We know the facility is a bit hot, and we’ve done our best to try to improve that situation.Also, we are going to be making every effort to have live streaming so that we could market the event internationally.”This will be the first time that Guyana will be hosting a hockey tournament of such international magnitude and stakeholders are eager to leave a lasting impression that bodes well for the country.“This is a very important event for the Pan American Hockey Federation, especially for Guyana, it’s the biggest event we’ve ever tried to have here in Guyana and it’s an honour to have been selected by PAHF to host it here in Guyana; we are very excited and enthusiastic,” Fernandes shared.Fernandes reminded that it could not be possible without the support of the many sponsors that came on board to support the tournament “in a very big way”.“We would like to acknowledge the fact that we have some strong sponsors, we have a lot of gold sponsors, companies like Exxon Mobil, GTT, Banks DIH, John Fernandes Limited, Bounty Supermarket, while we have our silver sponsors like Republic Bank; Sterling Products with their Igloo brand. We hope to make it an event worthy of their contribution,” he noted.Seven female teams and six male teams have been arriving in Guyana to take part in the tournament which will be held at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall, beginning from 10am tomorrow.The home court advantage will give Guyana much benefits, including being able to field both a male and a female team, for the first time ever at the tournament. Though this will be Guyana’s second time fielding a male team, this will actually be the first year that the country will be represented in the female competition.Another benefit coming out of our hosting will be the Guyanese players having the chance to train and familiarize themselves with the exact surface that they will be playing the competition on.“Usually we play on grass and then we go and compete on artificial turf which is very, very tough. So our teams are very keen and excited that they could play and practice in the very same venue where the competition will be played,” Fernandes explained.The GHB recently imported an indoor plastic tile floor, similar to what is used in North America for almost all indoor sports, which was laid at the CASH. A move that has definitely pleased all of the incoming teams as well, as they had nothing but compliments about the facility.“The venue is fantastic, the floor is superb. The people are very kind, treating us excellent. We’ve been very impressed with everything,” commented a representative from Uruguay.His sentiments were echoed by other representatives from Canada, Mexico, Argentina and Trinidad and Tobago.PAHF Events Coordinator, Laura Macchiotti, also chimed in with praises for the GHB’s hosting of the event.“I want to thank you for hosting the tournament. It’s very important for PAHF to have different countries and not always the same one, so small hockey countries too can showcase big events like this and spread hockey throughout the country and continent. I know that this has been a big effort for you, not only for the finances.We know that small federations struggle to get people involved to run a tournament, but you did it quite well, we have a very nice venue and we have everything we need to have a very good event,” Macchiotti said.last_img read more

Venkatesh Prasad, Nayan Mongia among 80 applicants for India’s next selection committee

first_imgBCCI has received as many as around 80 applications expressing interest in being part of India’s next selection committee. (Latest Cricket stories)But sources have confirmed to India Today not too many are high profile applicants and choosing a chief selector may not come easy. Board is looking for a successor to Sandeep Patil who completes his term of 4 years at this month’s AGM. Former India captains Krish Srikkanth, Dilip Vengsarkar and stumper Kiran More last served as chairman of selection committee.But BCCI officials are not overly worried for profile of applicants.”Once criteria is set it’s clear what we are looking for. The idea behind age cap is to have selectors who have first hand experience of limited-overs cricket,” said a source.Junior selection committee chairman Venkatesh Prasad, 99 World Cup spinner Nikhil Chopra, former keepers Nayan Mongia, Sameer Dighe and Vijay Dahiya, former fast bowlers Abey Kuruvilla and Amit Bhandari, former spinners Nilesh Kulkarni, Aashish Kapoor and Gyanendra Pandey are some of the names to have applied.SELECTION CRITERIAThe BCCI for the first time has invited applications through public advertisement for the post of senior, junior and women’s selection committee.The criteria laid down for selection includes an age cap of 60 years, Test or ODI experience or 50 first-class matches. The applicant should also not be involved in IPL in any capacity or be running any private cricket academies.The process of shortlisting candidates for interview is still in progress and the new selection committee is to be appointed at the BCCI AGM on September 21.advertisementThe new selection committee however will fail to meet the criteria set by Supreme Court’s Lodha committee and the BCCI continues to challenge the Lodha report legally.last_img read more